The funding comes from the £5 billion COVID-19 fund announced by the Chancellor in last week’s budget.
£1.6 billion will go to local authorities to help them respond to other coronavirus (COVID-19) pressures across all the services they deliver. This includes increasing support for the adult social care workforce and for services helping the most vulnerable, including homeless people.
£1.3 billion will be used to enhance the NHS discharge process so patients who no longer need urgent treatment can return home safely and quickly.
The funding will cover the follow-on care costs for adults in social care, or people who need additional support, when they are out of hospital and back in their homes, community settings, or care settings.
Enhancing the NHS discharge process will help free up 15,000 hospital beds across England and ensure more staff have capacity to treat people needing urgent care, including those being cared for with coronavirus.
This funding is part of the government’s commitment to ensure NHS and social care system, and other public services, have all the resources they need during the COVID-19 outbreak.
The government will continue to monitor pressures in the NHS and local government and will keep reviewing future funding.
Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said:
Our NHS and social care colleagues are at the heart of protecting the most vulnerable during the coronavirus outbreak, and the whole country is tremendously grateful for their commitment during this challenging time.
This funding will help the NHS and social care services in our communities to rise to this once in a generation challenge by allowing the NHS to do what it needs to, and help move people out of hospital as soon as possible to get them back home with the right support.
We are clear that we will do whatever it takes to protect lives and protect our NHS.
Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak said:
I’ve been clear that the NHS and other vital public services will receive whatever they need to protect people from coronavirus.
Our £5 billion budget response fund is now being used to free up more beds in hospitals and ensure some of our most vulnerable people are getting the care they need. The government will continue to lay out comprehensive and coordinated responses to get this country through this situation.
- March 19, 2020 at 4:03 pm by Editor (displayed above)
- March 19, 2020 at 4:03 pm by Editor