Which forms are affected?
Changes have been made to all privacy notices on all legal aid forms across both criminal and civil legal aid.
Why do we have privacy notices?
Privacy notices set out certain standards which clients can expect from the Legal Aid Agency regarding their personal data.
Among the areas covered are:
- Our requests for personal data and the way it is managed
- How to obtain a copy of the personal data we hold
- What to do if your client thinks standards are not being met
How has the privacy notice been changed?
Amendments to the privacy notices have been made to reflect updates to LAA systems and processes and to ensure out of date information is corrected or where necessary, removed.
The changes include:
- Removal of references to data being sent to the USA
- Amendment to the names of debt collection and credit checking agencies in compliance with new contracts
- Addition of a paragraph referencing that the LAA will contract with external data processors for administrative and management purposes.
- Amendment to the contact details for queries
Will old forms still be accepted?
Previous versions of the application forms will continue to be accepted until 31 March 2021, so providers have time to adjust.
However, please note that the previous contact details for submitting any queries are now obsolete. The LAA will not be able to deal with any queries and complaints received from clients who have attempted to use the old details.
Where possible, therefore, we would prefer you to use the new versions of the forms as soon as possible.
Show all clients updated privacy notices
Your clients need to be aware of the updated privacy notices. This is especially important if you are submitting the older version of the form.
It means directing your clients to the new privacy notices when you are collecting personal information.
These privacy notices are on the new forms and you can use the links at the end of this article to help you.
CCMS privacy notices
We are working on integrating privacy notices into the Client and Cost Management System (CCMS) which will be updated in due course.
- January 11, 2021 at 4:53 pm by Editor (displayed above)
- January 11, 2021 at 4:53 pm by Editor