Reviewing and managing performance…
Last updated: 22 June 2016
Successful businesses need employees that perform to a high standard. Performance management is one way to help you get the best from your staff.
What is performance management?
Performance management is a process where managers and employees work together to plan, monitor and review an employee’s performance and contribution to the business or organisation.
It covers areas such as:
- learning and development
- measuring performance (for example, objectives and goals)
- career development.
Why conduct performance management?
Good performance management of your staff can help them to:
- understand what is expected of them
- identify areas they are performing well in
- identify areas they can improve in and their training needs
- see their own progress
- understand what goals they are working towards.
Regular training, review and feedback will also support your staff in improving their performance.
Without a good performance management process, staff may lose motivation to grow and improve their performance.
5 tips for good performance management
Successful performance management involves open and supportive discussions and ongoing feedback. Some helpful tips include:
- Encouraging staff to talk to you or a manager if they have any issues.
- Listing the behaviours and outcomes you expect from staff in their position description.
- Having regular performance reviews with staff from the beginning to outline your expectations.
- Writing a clear performance management policy, explaining how underperformance will be managed and listing possible consequences.
- Addressing issues as soon as possible – the longer they continue, the more difficult they are to resolve.
Not every underperformance issue needs a structured process, so look for options when trying to help a staff member improve their performance, such as regular informal feedback.
Find out more:
Visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website for:
- August 5, 2019 at 10:14 am by Australia Editor (displayed above)
- August 5, 2019 at 10:14 am by Australia Editor