Environment Secretary Michael Gove and Welsh Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs Lesley Griffiths have today confirmed Robert Light as the new Chair of the Consumer Council for Water.
Robert’s appointment takes effect from 6 June 2019 and will be for a period of three years until 5 June 2022.
The appointment has been made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. The Code requires for appointees political activity (if significant) to be declared. Robert Light was a Conservative Councillor on Kirklees Council until November 2018.
The Consumer Council for Water is the independent, statutory body that represents all water and sewerage consumers across England and Wales. Its work includes providing advice and information on water matters and investigating complaints if water customers have tried and failed to resolve issues with their water companies and retailers.
Robert Light biography
- A board member of the Consumer Council for Water since 2015, Robert is presently Chair of the Northern Region. Previously he has been Deputy Chair of the Environment Agency, Deputy Chair of the Local Government Association and on the Board of the Audit Commission.
- Robert retired from Local Government in 2018 after twenty six years as a Councillor which included being Leader of Kirklees Council and the first Chair of the Leeds City Region.
- Robert is also Head Commissioner for the independent Commission on Civil Aviation Noise (ICCAN)
- June 14, 2019 at 10:05 am by Editor (displayed above)
- June 14, 2019 at 10:05 am by Editor