- top UK lawyers meet Nigerian legal professionals in Lagos
- Part of wider government drive to boost trade with Africa
Leading UK legal professionals have travelled (1 April 2019) to Nigeria as part of a government campaign to drive collaboration between law firms and business in London and Lagos.
The partnership between the UK and Nigerian legal firms was announced during the Prime Minister’s visit to Africa last year and is the latest phase of the Ministry of Justice’s (MOJ) Legal Services are GREAT campaign, which aims to promote the UK’s £24 billion legal services sector across the globe.
Twenty leading lawyers and barristers from across the UK will meet with prominent Nigerian business leaders and lawyers for a 3 day trade mission, taking part in skill sharing workshops, talks and seminars promoting collaboration and partnership working.
Lawyers from Clifford Chance and Mischon de Reya will be among the group representing the strengths of the UK legal system and the benefits of English Law across the globe.
The delegation will offer expertise in sectors including infrastructure and science, and cross-border transactions that will help to support Nigeria’s growing economy and drive further business between the UK and Nigeria.
Lord Chancellor David Gauke said:
This is an exciting new step for the Legal Services are GREAT campaign as we continue to build global partnerships.
Our legal system is rightly revered and renowned across the world, and the expertise of our leading lawyers will help to secure investment in Nigeria while creating new business opportunities for UK law firms and chambers.
The campaign is part of a wider government drive to strengthen ties with emerging global economic partners.
Last year the Prime Minister and President Buhari agreed to launch a new UK-Nigeria Economic Development Forum so that countries can identify barriers to broadening bilateral trade and work together to resolve them.
Some 111 African companies have already come to the UK to list on the London Stock Exchange, to raise money in one of the world’s leading financial centres.
Notes to editors
- Legal Services are GREAT launched in October 2017 to promote the UK’s outstanding legal services worldwide. It has already been promoted in numerous countries, led 2 trade missions to Kazakhstan and China, and reached thousands of international business executives. Further information is available on GOV.UK
- Trade between the UK and Nigeria is worth £4.2 billion every year
- For further details contact Jourdan.Wong-Muhammad@justice.gov.uk or call 020 3334 0185
- April 2, 2019 at 11:23 am by Editor (displayed above)
- April 2, 2019 at 11:23 am by Editor