The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has chartered three British Airways flights to help hundreds more British tourists in Peru return to the UK over the next few days, with the first flight departing Lima on Sunday.
The FCO will also charter domestic flights from Cusco and Arequipa to Lima so that UK nationals can transfer to the London-bound flights. This follows the British Airways charter flight organised by the FCO which took 172 vulnerable British people and their dependents back to the UK earlier this week.
All commercial internal and international transport connections in Peru are closed and there are tens of thousands of foreign visitors of all nationalities seeking to leave. The FCO is in contact with British travelers with the details of the flights so they can take up the offer to return to the UK.
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said:
The Foreign Office has chartered three more flights for British travelers in Peru – as well as domestic flights to help those in Cusco. We continue to work around the clock to help British travelers struggling to get back to the UK and thank the Peruvian government for all their support in making this happen.
British nationals in urgent distress and who need immediate consular assistance can call +442070081500. This number is available 24/7.
Notes to Editors:
- The first flight bringing in UK Nationals from Peru landed in London on 26/03/20. Approximately 170 British nationals and dependants were aboard the flight.
- Seats on the first flight prioritised those UK nationals most at risk from the effects of coronavirus – namely elderly people and those with underlying health conditions.
- We continue to maintain contact with those in Peru who have asked for support. This includes those currently in Cusco.
- The FCO wants to ensure that all British nationals in Peru contact our dedicated team to register if they wish to leave. They can get in touch at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 27, 2020 at 5:24 pm by Editor (displayed above)
- March 27, 2020 at 5:24 pm by Editor