Last night, the Security Minister Brandon Lewis addressed Italian citizens about the EU Settlement Scheme at an event hosted by the Ambassador of Italy to the UK Raffaele Trombetta.
In a speech, the minister said the UK was providing certainty to millions of EU citizens currently living here. More than 150 representatives from various Italian academic, research and business groups across the UK attended.
Prior to the event, the Security Minister had a meeting with the ambassador to discuss Brexit, citizens’ rights and our future security co-operation. Nearly 300,000 applications have been made by Italian nationals since the scheme’s launch, making them the third largest group amongst overall applicants.
Minister of State Brandon Lewis said:
I am really pleased to see there has been a strong response to the EU Settlement Scheme from Italians living in the UK.
With the help of the Italian Embassy and other community groups, we will continue to do all we can to spread the word about the scheme.
Ambassador of Italy to the UK Raffaele Trombetta said:
Last night we were not talking about numbers registered in the EU Settlement Scheme but about people and their lives.
I can assure that both the EU and the UK are willing to work together in their interests.
The Italian Embassy is pleased with the excellent cooperation with the Home Office so far and we will keep working closely together.
The Home Office has worked alongside embassies, employers and local authorities across the UK to promote the EU Settlement Scheme and encourage people to apply.
These include Q&A sessions, pop-up events and materials translated into 26 languages.
- January 30, 2020 at 9:04 am by Editor (displayed above)
- January 30, 2020 at 9:04 am by Editor