Specialist Leisure Group companies in administration – advice for employees, creditors and customers

, , Leave a comment

The Specialist Leisure Group has gone into administration. The brand names they owned have also gone into administration.

This affects:

  • Shearings Holidays
  • National Holidays
  • UK Breakaways
  • Wallace Arnold Travel
  • Caledonian Travel
  • Bay Hotels
  • Coast & Country Hotels
  • Country Living Hotels
  • Sporting Breaks

Information for former employees

If you’ve been dismissed

If you’ve been dismissed, you might be entitled to redundancy and other related payments from the Insolvency Service.

The amount the Insolvency Service can pay you is subject to legal limits. Find out how much we can pay you.

We have extra guidance if you were dismissed while being furloughed.

Who is eligible

You can apply to the Insolvency Service for redundancy and other payments if:

  • you worked for these companies under an employment contract for 2 or more years
  • you live in England, Scotland or Wales

Workers and self-employed contractors who provided services to the company are not eligible to apply. Instead, these individuals should contact the administrator to register as creditors.

The administrator has sent details about how to apply including a case reference number (for example CN12345678). You need the case reference number to apply. If you have not received this, please contact ERA Solutions Limited.

The administrator has engaged ERA Solutions Limited to help employees making their claims. You can contact them by:

Once you have this information from ERA Solutions Limited, you can apply online.

Paying your claim

We always try to pay eligible claims within 6 weeks of receiving the application.

Please do not contact us to check the status of your application until after the 6 weeks have passed. This will help us deal with everyone’s application as quickly as possible.

We’ll contact you directly if we need anything from you.

Make sure you include your email address when you send in your claim, so we can contact you.

Getting help with your application for redundancy payments

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, our helplines are currently closed. We have guidance on redundancy payments.

If the guidance does not answer your question, or you cannot get online to complete the application, you can email the Redundancy Payments Service for help.

When emailing, please send us your name, case reference number (for example CN12345678) and your telephone number. If you do not have a case reference number, please contact ERA Solutions Limited.

If you need to email us after submitting your claim, please only use the email address you gave on your application form. Otherwise, we won’t be able to respond to you for security reasons.

More information on how the Coronavirus pandemic is affecting our services.

More information

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has guidance and support for people who have been made redundant

They also have some resources and advice for redundant employees.

Information for creditors

You’ll need to register as a creditor in the administration if:

  • you haven’t been paid for goods or services you’ve supplied to Specialist Leisure Group Limited or any of the listed subsidiaries
  • you’ve paid the companies for goods or services that you have not received

To register, email the administrator.

In your email, please include your company details and what you’re owed.

Information for customers

Gift cards

If you have unused gift vouchers, that were not issued in respect to a cancelled holiday, they do not have any financial protection and you will not be able to claim a full refund for the value of the unused gift vouchers.

Customers with unused gift vouchers, that were not issued for a cancelled holiday, will need to register as creditors.

There are some customers who will have gift vouchers for a cancelled holiday due to COVID-19 which may have financial protection.

Holiday bookings

All holiday bookings have now been cancelled, and all of the companies retail shops will close immediately.

Coach, rail and river travel

You might be covered by certain schemes if you booked:

  • a package holiday or tour with coach or rail travel
  • a cruise with overnight accommodation

You may need a letter from the Bonded Coach Holidays scheme website to apply for a refund through your credit card company.

Check the websites of The Confederation of Passenger Transport, Bonded Coach Holidays scheme or your card issuer for more information or help.


If you booked a package that includes a flight, your holiday may be covered by the Civil Aviation Authority’s (CAA) Air Travel Organiser’s License scheme, also known as ATOL. The Specialist Leisure Group sold flight inclusive ATOL protected package holidays through Shearings Holidays Ltd – ATOL 1666. Please check your holiday booking documentation for an ATOL certificate to confirm if your holiday is covered.

Customers with ATOL protected bookings will be contacted by the UK Civil Aviation Authority in due course, either directly or via their booking or travel agent, with further information and advice on making a claim for a refund.

Customers with Holiday Credit Notes for cancelled ATOL protected bookings, due to COVID-19, will also be contacted by the UK Civil Aviation Authority. More information is available on the CAA website.

If you are due to depart from a UK airport with any Shearings, National Holidays and UK Breakaways holiday, please do not travel to your UK airport as your flight will not be operating and you will not be able to travel. Further information is available from the CAA.

Claiming refunds

Further information on claiming a refund for an ATOL protected holiday is available on the CAA’s website.

ATOL protected customers should not go to their card issuer to claim refunds. The CAA will be contacting all ATOL protected customers and will be paying those who paid on credit card.

If you have booked flights only and are not ATOL protected, you may be able to get your money back by claiming a refund from your card issuer. Please contact your card issuer as soon as possible.

Further information, including time limits that apply, is available from the UK Cards Association’s Credit and debit cards: A consumer guide.

If you have any other type of booking (for example self-drive, hotel breaks or weddings) which do not have financial protection, you should contact your credit or debit card provider.

Holidays booked through Wallace Arnold Travel

All Wallace Arnold Travels shops are now closed. If you bought a holiday with Shearings, National Holidays or UK Breakaways through Wallace Arnold, the advice on this page applies to you.

If you bought a holiday with other tour operators through Wallace Arnold, your holiday booking should not be affected.

If your holiday is with a different tour operator (not the Specialist Leisure Group) please contact them directly regarding your booking. Further information is available from ABTA.

Photo by Editor5807. Used under Creative Commons

Revision History:


Leave a Reply