The Cabinet Secretary, with the approval of the Prime Minister, has appointed Susanna McGibbon as the new Treasury Solicitor, HM Procurator General and Permanent Secretary, Government Legal Department (GLD). The HM Procurator General aspect of the role is made by Royal Warrant and has been approved by the Queen.
The Attorney General, Suella Braverman, said:
“I am delighted that Susanna McGibbon will be the next Treasury Solicitor. Susanna is not only one of the Government’s best lawyers but also one of our best leaders and this was evident in the role she played in co-ordinating the Government’s legal response to the pandemic. I know that Susanna will be an excellent leader of the Government Legal Department and I look forward to working with her.”
The Cabinet Secretary, Simon Case, said:
“Susanna’s appointment is excellent news for the Government Legal Department. She has exceptional legal skills and a strong track record in advising on complex legal matters. Susanna is an inspirational leader in the Civil Service, and I’m confident she will take this forward in her new role to become an outstanding Treasury Solicitor.
I would like to thank Peter Fish for his leadership of the GLD since November and wish him all the best for the future.”
“I am deeply honoured to be the next Treasury Solicitor. It is a privilege to have the opportunity to lead the Government Legal Department, an outstanding legal organisation committed to the highest standards of professionalism, at this important time for our country. I want to pay tribute to colleagues across the Department for their incredible work supporting the full range of government priorities in these challenging circumstances.
I am looking forward to leading GLD in tackling the challenges and embracing the opportunities of 2021 and beyond. I want to thank Peter Fish and Jonathan Jones for their immeasurable contribution to the Government Legal Profession and wish them well for the future.”
Susanna is expected to take up post on 8 March. Arrangements for appointing her successor will be announced in due course.
Notes for Editors:
- Susanna is currently Director General, Government Legal Department and Director General Legal Group, Department for Work and Pensions, where she leads and manages the Government Legal Department, as a member of the Board and Executive Committee, in support of the Treasury Solicitor. She is also a member of the DWP Executive Team, providing expert senior legal advice.
- Prior to that Susanna was Director of Litigation at GLD, conducting domestic litigation on behalf of most government departments. She has also been Legal Director for the Department of Communities and Local Government, Department for Trade and Industry and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
- Treasury Solicitor is the government’s most senior legal official and Permanent Secretary of the Government Legal Department. In addition, the Treasury Solicitor acts as head of profession for the wider Government Legal Profession, which includes a number of government legal teams outside GLD.
- February 19, 2021 at 5:44 am by Editor (displayed above)
- February 19, 2021 at 5:44 am by Editor