Whirlpool has been regularly updating the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) on the progress of its tumble dryer recall programme following an intervention by OPSS in June 2019. The latest data, as of the end of 10 March 2020, is published below. This is based on Whirlpool’s management information and has not been independently verified by OPSS.
Under the recall, consumers with an unmodified, affected tumble dryer are entitled to a new replacement machine. This will be delivered and installed, with the old one removed, all at no cost to the consumer.
Whirlpool agreed to undertake a number of actions including:
- delivering a significant new consumer outreach campaign with wide ranging publicity of the product recall aimed at reaching affected consumers and driving up awareness
- guaranteeing no charges for delivery, installation or removal of machines
- improving identification of, and outreach to, vulnerable consumers
- providing OPSS with timely reporting of progress made in the product recall
The reported status of the tumble dryer recall programme is as follows:
1) 120,090 new customers have come forward since 12 June following the Consumer Minister announcing the intention to serve a recall notice in the House of Commons on 11 June. (Since the February update Whirlpool has identified and removed 1,329 duplicates from the registration total.)
2) 732,902 visits have been made to Whirlpool’s new designated website.
3) The average time taken from a customer making a decision to each resolution type is as follows:
- 12.6 days for a product exchange
- 10.9 days for a refund
- 6.4 days for a modification
4) 98,785 cases have been fully resolved, of which:
- 70,509 machines have been replaced (free of charge)
- 17,142 machines have been part exchanged (upgraded)
- 4,672 machines have been collected and refunded
- 6,462 machines have been modified
5) The average time taken from a customer registration to resolution is 38 days.
All figures are those reported for 11 July to 10 March 2020 unless stated otherwise.
- March 16, 2020 at 2:54 pm by Editor (displayed above)
- March 16, 2020 at 2:54 pm by Editor