The world-leading UK aerospace industry has a turnover of £35 billion and directly employs 123,000 people. It needs to keep innovating to stay ahead in global markets.
Organisations are invited to express an interest in a £150 million annual competition that supports game-changing innovations in aerospace design, manufacture and propulsion. The best ideas will have a chance to apply for funding.
The investment is part of the £3.9 billion UK Aerospace Technology Institute programme, a partnership between government and industry managed by Innovate UK, the Aerospace Technology Institute and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Developing aircraft of the future
The competition is seeking expressions of interest in funding for industrial research or capital investment projects in line with the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy.
Priority areas include whole aircraft design and integration, aerostructures, advanced systems and propulsion technologies.
Project themes are detailed in the UK Aerospace Technology Strategy, and include:
- improving UK whole-aircraft design and system integration
- future-proofing advanced systems technologies in the UK – specifically, smart, connected and more electric aircrafts
- securing the UK’s world-leading position in large, complex aviation structures, particularly wings
- developing more efficient propulsion technologies, including large turbofans
- the competition opens on 7 October 2019, and the closing date is 23 October 2019
- UK-based businesses, research and technology groups and academic institutions can be the project lead, depending on the project type
- businesses could get up to 70% of their costs for industry-led research projects, or up to 50% of their costs for capital investment projects
- an online briefing event will be held on 11 October 2019
- October 1, 2019 at 10:03 am by Editor (displayed above)
- October 1, 2019 at 10:03 am by Editor